Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Paramount of Pizza

Back in the day, I knew kids that got big bucks as a reward for A's on their report card. I, however, was never one to lust for cold, hard cash. So, MY reward was a trip to Paramount Pizza Palace in Indianapolis, Indiana.




And this is just the lobby!!

Here's the deal:

Order Pizza...Buy Candy at the Gift Shop...Listen to Organ Music.



If that last part leaves you scratching your head on bemusement, well let me tell you something. This organ wasn't some fuddy-duddy church organ. It was a monstrous behemouth of pipes and sound. It even had drums, trumpets, and fake birds.



And, get this, it ROSE FROM OUT OF THE FEAKING GROUND. This magical appearance never ceased in getting an ooh and aah out of me.



And you could give them requests. Now the geezers would always request something from Bach or Sousa. I, on the other hand, had only two requests: Star Wars and the Original Phantom of the Opera. You ain't heard John Williams until you've heard him blasted with hundreds of pipes from an organ that levitated out of the ground!!

Paramount's closed now, but you can still hear this kicking organ in Florida!!

1 comment:

  1. I loved that place! My brother took me there for my 16th birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment about anything. But, please, be gentle.